• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do YOU need to do before NWFest 2010 ?

-front axle joint....done
-front pinion seal....done
-water pump....done
-motor mounts....done
still need to change fluids, get an alignment, attach a few tie-down points in the rear and a couple of other small things.

Fix T-case shifter linkage,
scrounge for longer front shocks,
replace axle seals on the 8.8,
replace rotors on the rear,
pads all around,
change brake fluid,
service the differentials.

I opened up my 8.8 on Sunday to replace my axle seals and found my Lock-right is broken :(. It's time ime to spend some money on a real locker hopefully.

I opened up my 8.8 on Sunday to replace my axle seals and found my Lock-right is broken :(. It's time time to spend some money on a real locker hopefully.
A new Detroit c-locker is on the way. :clap:I'm really hoping I don't have to re-set the pinion depth and preload.

A new Detroit c-locker is on the way. :clap:I'm really hoping I don't have to re-set the pinion depth and preload.

:thumbup:

Just got 35" tires...
tore the front axle out of the rig yesterday.
Waiting on my OTK steering to come in so I can install that.
Cutting rockers out in the coming week and tacking in rocker replacements.

My list of things to do just got a little bigger with the new tires.

~Scott

Just got 35" tires...

~Scott

Wow, you're gonna be busy! Are you going to lift it a little more to fit the tires? You're welcome to check out my rocker replacements if you like. I wish I had a rig to compare when I did mine.

Just got 35" tires...

~Scott
That's awesome man. :woohoo:

-waiting on new PSC power steering pulley
-weld sliders on
-get a few test runs done

Just got 35" tires...

~Scott

I can see it now, your going to be the Alex of the epic run this year. :moon:

I was the one that broke last year and Alex loaned me some important items to get out of the pucker brush on that run. On a side note the camp repair done by the Ritchie's Machine Shop guys is still holding strong to this day.

I can see it now, your going to be the Alex of the epic run this year. :moon:

Lyle also broke a shaft last year on the epic run. I believe Alex was the man who helped people up until his wheel incident for most of NWfest.

Rich, I will more than likely stop by this weekend to check out your replacements, thanks! I need to visually see what I'm doing for sure. And since my welder isn't that big, I can only get things generally in place at my house...then I have to drive to a friends to burn it all in.

I have plenty of lift for the tires now, and I trimmed plenty (I think/hope) when I built the rig...my biggest worry is my front shafts. My steering/suspension is all pretty set-up, but I'm lacking alloy shafts...which I'm hoping won't be an issue if I keep the locker turned off for a majority of the trip.

I couldn't pass up 35" 80% tread tires with rims for $80.

~Scott

Lyle also broke a shaft last year on the epic run. I believe Alex was the man who helped people up until his wheel incident for most of NWfest.

Rich, I will more than likely stop by this weekend to check out your replacements, thanks! I need to visually see what I'm doing for sure. And since my welder isn't that big, I can only get things generally in place at my house...then I have to drive to a friends to burn it all in.

I have plenty of lift for the tires now, and I trimmed plenty (I think/hope) when I built the rig...my biggest worry is my front shafts. My steering/suspension is all pretty set-up, but I'm lacking alloy shafts...which I'm hoping won't be an issue if I keep the locker turned off for a majority of the trip.

I couldn't pass up 35" 80% tread tires with rims for $80.

~Scott

weld your ujoint caps. KarlVP runs stock 30 shafts welded with 35 creepies.

weld your ujoint caps. KarlVP runs stock 30 shafts welded with 35 creepies.

I thought about it...but it seems that would make switching out u-joints pretty tough.

I'm just going to make sure everything in the axle is in good shape, run it as is, and hope for the best.

~Scott

1.) gears
- not happening
2.) transmission filter + new fluid
- DONE
3.) x-fer case skid painted/installed
- DONE
4.) get rid of the play in my steering
- DONE
5.) new fluid in the xfer case
- ?????
6.) gas tank skid cut to fit my 97 and installed
- tomorrow
7.) finish designing the t-shirt ; P
- tomorrow

if u weld them then u carry spare shafts with joints already in them. Quick and easy trail swap. Alot easier than beating out the U joints on the trail... :yelclap:

Working on finding spares...but you know how it is, millions of projects at once and never enough time to finish them all.

But until that time, I figure one that I can swap u-joints if I have to is optimal. I have a u-joint tool, so it makes life easier. Still sucks, but better than nothing.

~Scott

Pull tranny install new clutch and throwout bearing - anyone wanna lend a hand??
wire up electric fan
reinstall tank skid and hitch
install t-case skid

Working on finding spares...but you know how it is, millions of projects at once and never enough time to finish them all.

But until that time, I figure one that I can swap u-joints if I have to is optimal. I have a u-joint tool, so it makes life easier. Still sucks, but better than nothing.

~Scott

If you break a u-joint it is most likely taking the shaft out with it.

Back