• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So who's showing up this year?

jwtrapper said:
I am going to move my vacation so that I can come out for this one. Is there going to be a problem with not having fender flares in UT on the HWY?

In my experience, it depends on how far your tires stick out, and the mood of the officer that day. I have 31x10.50s with 3.75" backspaced wheels and often run flareless in the rear with no trouble. If your heep looks like a death trap, then I'm sure they'd be much more likely to pull you over.

jwtrapper said:
I am going to move my vacation so that I can come out for this one. Is there going to be a problem with not having fender flares in UT on the HWY?

***IN GENERAL*** virtually anything goes in and around Moab. The local gendarmes are very forgiving. Utah Highway Patrol... not so much.

jwtrapper said:
seems like they like to give out of staters more warnings then tickets. I wouldn't worry about it too much. IF they do give you a ticket its 40 bucks.

I got a warning for no mud flaps on I-70.

Personallly I'd get some coverage to be safe (it doesn't have to be permanent or pretty - just enough to comply, think lawn edging, etc)

Oh yeah - and by not permanent I'm talking just to run the highway - I wouldn't worry too much about flares or flaps in Moab.

4xSanta said:
I hope the Utah Fuzz can close there eyes to full width one ton axles with 37" meats sticking way out beyond the sheetmetal (Do Mormans believe in Santa?)

The UHP is notorious for fines about not having fenders.

Do you think if I put mud flaps on the rear they will by it? California says one quarter of pie, meaning one quarter of front and rear wheel must be covered which is a real pain for me but I do drive it on the street sometimes and I have only been warned once. What does UHP think about bead locks and hydro assist stearing?

4xSanta said:
Do you think if I put mud flaps on the rear they will by it? California says one quarter of pie, meaning one quarter of front and rear wheel must be covered which is a real pain for me but I do drive it on the street sometimes and I have only been warned once. What does UHP think about bead locks and hydro assist stearing?

They will probably only give you trouble about the mudflaps. I wouldn't worry about the rest.

4xSanta said:

Utah laws:

Full coverage with flares - no tire sticking out the side of hte body.

50% coverage with mud flaps - flap should go to halfway down the axle tube.

Now you're towing out there so I woudln't worry too much - around town there is much less liklihood of getting nabbed (they know who butters their bread)

4xSanta said:
Are you planning on driving this to utah?

If you are just driving around Moab you "should" have nothing to worry about.

Right in town they are way more forgiving then anywhere else in the state.

No I will not be driving this to Utah ,this XJ sees the highway from my trailer,but I like to drive it on the road to the trail heads and I usually get away with it at various places and it sounds like in town at Moab will not be a problem which is great news.

4xSanta said:
No I will not be driving this to Utah ,this XJ sees the highway from my trailer,but I like to drive it on the road to the trail heads and I usually get away with it at various places and it sounds like in town at Moab will not be a problem which is great news.

The local cops don't care at all around Moab. You can even drive an unlicensed buggy to the trailhead from your campsire or hotel. The local cops pretty much look the other way. On the other hand, the law enforcment level goes way up during Easter Jeep Safari. Not from the local cops, but from Utah Highway Patrol and other non-local cops who come intotown to lend a hand.

Andy Steiner said:
The local cops don't care at all around Moab. You can even drive an unlicensed buggy to the trailhead from your campsire or hotel.
This isn't "totally" true. They have been cracking down on buggies of late. Mostly for insurance reasons. They don't care so much if they are licensed but they want insurance on them if you are driving them on the street.

To me thats understandable. I would hate to get clobbered driving through town by an unlicensed vehicle.

IIRC, OneTon was bluntly told 3 years ago to get his buggy off the street. Trailer it to the trailhead. I don't recall if it if was local, county or state, though.

Local cops love giving speeding tickets on the north end of town from ARCHES NP. I guess that's where the city starts.

jwtrapper said:

Only if you want to get it inspected in Utah. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MUD FLAPS OR YOU WILL GET A TICKET!!!!

the local cops down here are cracking down on the buggies because most people that drive them are always racing around and most arn't licensed o.h.v. or otherwise, as for mudflaps and such as long as you obay the laws, no burn outs or racing the local cops turn thier heads(ussually) after dark and U.H.P. is a whole different thing though.

There is a solution to all of this.

If you get Sequoia to drive for you, he'll get the ticket, not you.

Post up, and I'll get his scheduling in place. First come, first served. :D

--ron

Back