• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAXJA 10th as well?

SgtJCJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has it been mentioned that NAXJA will be turning 10 about the same time as this trip? It was around a campfire at the end of Sep/beginning of Oct 1998 at Dead Horse S.P. (if I remember right) that NAXJA was conceived. Anybody here on the forum that was there? Glenn? Bezil(SP)?

Has it really been that long? Wow.

And to think, I was a lowly lurker then, bouncing between NAXJA and the old XJ forum (land of the ghost who wouldn't go away). Unfortunately, it wasn't until 2004 that I finally went red.

Still, I do remember it (and the old forum background with the BFG M/T tread pattern on it)

I remember the old forum. I lurked for a year before joining.

Well, it was a long time ago. But, I am talking about even before NAXJA had its own forum. We used to use a generic Jeep/Cherokee forum. I don't think NAXJA had its own until 2000/2001 timeframe. So far, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the original dozen or so. I remember Glenn Baker (Lopez Island, WA), Beezil (Chicogo), one from AZ, one from CA, one from down south somewhere, myself and a few others. Beezil's last post (that I can find) was in 2004. Anybody else out there?

Re: NAXJA 10th Anniversary is January 2009.

January 9th (or 7th?) is the original Incorporation date IIRC... the weekend after "new years" would be an appropriate time to :yelclap: :geek: :cheers: for NAXJA... But if any of the original founders were there in the pre-NAXJA Fall Fling... that would be cool if they post up and show up! That's the roots!

Woody

Cabin 12 :shhh:

Well, I am here. I was one of the few that were at the first get together in 1998 where the name NAXJA was conceived. We may not have been incorperated, but we were NAXJA. I don't remember it being called the "Fall Fling" at that time. I don't think that name was used until 1999. I just thought it'd be nice to celebrate the 10 year aniversary of the first NAXJA ride (even if we weren't inc'ed yet)at the same time as the 25th celebration for the Cherokee.

A handful of us attended the very first get-together in Moab in '98. XJEEPER attended and helped created NAXJA, so he's probably in the best position to present the facts. I know Dave Nay had a hand in it, too. I left Moab the morning after Loop arrived, so missed a few things. I could be wrong, but I thought NAXJA was created during the organization of the Ouray, CO event the following year, primarily to address liabilty concerns.

Now that all you old farts are reminiscing, it would be kinda cool to see a brief history of NAXJA written up.

SgtJCJ said:
Has it been mentioned that NAXJA will be turning 10 about the same time as this trip? It was around a campfire at the end of Sep/beginning of Oct 1998 at Dead Horse S.P. (if I remember right) that NAXJA was conceived. Anybody here on the forum that was there? Glenn? Bezil(SP)?

This is a NAXJA urban legend......next thing you know, someone will start a story about the Curse of the Cow Bones.

XJEEPER said:
This is a NAXJA urban legend......next thing you know, someone will start a story about the Curse of the Cow Bones.

Maybe I'm just getting old then. I was there in '98. I wasn't there at any of the later ones. I remember the discussion of a name and it being settled we would call ourselves NAXJA. So, unless I had an out of body experience in '99 (which would be really cool), it was '98.
I had forgotten about the curse. There were some other stories about that trip that's best left for the campfire.
For the life of me I couldn't remember the names of those there. Loop was from CA, right?
Glenn and I came from WA.
Who was the guy from AZ? He is the one who hooked me up with a free bumper after I launched over the dune so my wife wouldn't be too upset with "her" brand new XJ being mangled.

karstic said:
Now that all you old farts are reminiscing, it would be kinda cool to see a brief history of NAXJA written up.

Well, my .02 is only from pre-NAXJA. It was 1998. I was a no 4-wheelin' nobody from WA. The internet was 'somewhat' new and forums were really starting to take off. Glenn Baker, a co-worker and friend, talked me into buying a Cherokee. There was only one requirement he had, "Get one with a 4.0". So I did. Bought a brand new 1998 with a 4.0. Glenn introduced me to a forum for Cherokees. As I stated above, it was a sub-forum of many others. Something like 4X4, Jeep, and finally Cherokee. Through that forum I got a set of barely used OME springs/shocks for like $400. Best setup I have had to date, BTW. Now that I have 2 whole inches of lift, I was ready to 4X. We, on the forum decided to meet up from all around the country in the 4X4 center of the universe, Moab, UT. (I may be stretching a little, but it's my story) I showed up not knowing anything. My XJ was loaded up with all kinds of crap I didn't need. I had put a front and rear aftermarket receiver on. Completely ruined my approach/depature angles. I was promptly instructed to make those disappear. Great, 2 more pieces of heavy steel in the back of my XJ for wheelin with. BTW, I met everybody on the way to the trails. I didn't have time to unload. Everything came with me the first day. The guys that came from all over the country help this newbie out over the toughest of trails. I don't believe I bypassed anything. This was my first experience with the founding fathers of NAXJA. Nobody made me feel [too] stupid, and I learned more in that week than any other jeepin experience. After about 2 days, we decided that this was so good, we should be doing it at least annually. Through many beers, etc around the campfire, we decided we needed a name. NAXJA was conceived. That was around 01OCT1998. The next thing I knew, I checked in every few years, there were 1000s of members, dues, and your own website. Oh, how things change.

SgtJCJ said:
Loop was from CA, right?
Yes
SgtJCJ said:
Who was the guy from AZ? He is the one who hooked me up with a free bumper after I launched over the dune so my wife wouldn't be too upset with "her" brand new XJ being mangled.
There were two young guys from AZ that I remember, Jeff and his side-kick friend, whose name escapes me at the moment. They both owned white XJs with about 3" of lift and 31" tires.

SgtJCJ said:
Glenn introduced me to a forum for Cherokees. As I stated above, it was a sub-forum of many others. Something like 4X4, Jeep, and finally Cherokee.
The Cherokee forum was part of the VMAG forums, which was under the control of the KII Automotive Group. Kendra Cook was the forum admin. We eventually left after Kendra ignored numerous calls to archieve the forum. Programmer Tom Cerney set up the XJ Forum, which grew fairly rapidly and was supported through donations.

10 years ago has become a little fuzzy......but you are correct, on a starlit mesa in the fall of 98, NAXJA was conceptually born. For most, it was thier first trip to Moab and folks were amazed by the incredible scenery and somewhat intimidated by the terrain. By weeks end, everyone was wheeling like veterans.

I don't recall the names of all the attendees at that event, but I'll try and list those I know and post up some old 35mm shots from that fun-filled week in the desert, which has led up to today. A lot has changed since then, but much is still the same.

Folks I recall in attendance:

Bones
Beezil
Tom R
Glenn (rollin' in the red ZJ)
SgtJCJ (don't recall your old handle)
AZJeff
Loop
Moab Jeff
Some dude in another white XJ
Dr Phil

My old Jeep on an alternate climb on Poison Spider Mesa

psm.jpg

Loop on Highdive-Behind the Rocks with Moab Jeff spotting and Glenn? observing

diver.jpg

Loop on Upchuck - Behind the Rocks

upchuck.jpg

Approach to White Knuckle Hill - Behind the Rocks 4" lift and 31's back then

flexin.jpg

Another above White Knuckle

whiteknu.jpg

Loop playing on the dunes after the BTR trail

dune.jpg

My first dune jumping experience.........with Bones' rig in the background. Notice the crater in the sand in lower right forground? Someone went for some big ait and nosed their wife's new XJ into this hole about 10 minutes later and bent the uni-body.:tear:

Bonsai.jpg

I know I have some more shots, I'll try and scan them and post them up for old times sake.

Just for the record, I was "Thrash" originally.
And...that was me with the bent unibody. Took me 3 tries, but I got over by God. However, I did get her a new Durango the following month to make up for it.

Last edited:
SgtJCJ said:
Just for the record, I was "Thrash" originally.
And...that was me with the bent unibody. Took me 3 tries, but I got over by God. However, I did get her a new Durango the following month to make up for it.
Aha, that's who you are. I couldn't remember anyone by your SgtJCJ handle.

Dr Phil........the sex therapist! :D

I kept thinking "Crash" but knew that wasn't it.......so what are you driving now?

Found this shot of Phil on White Knuckle Hill.....right before he tried to spot Beezil onto his roof. :twak:

phil.jpg

Beezil ( I think?) came up with these pre-NAXJA decal and tshirt designs, shortly after the 98 Moab trip.
The decal actually made production.

sticker7.gif

tshirt3.jpg

I am on XJ #5 now. After I got back, I was having service done to the jeep. It was under warrenty and something had to be done, I don't remember what. I went next door to look at the Durangos my wife had been talking about. They took the Jeep in on trade without ever looking at it and gave me what I had paid. I tried to get them to test drive it, but they just kept saying they'd get to it. I let them keep the tweaked unibody site unseen. I went to an 89. Something I could play wigh and not feel so bad if I tweaked it a little. I did everything I could to that XJ I could think of. Even had some homemade half over again eliptical springs. Got bored with it. Sold it and got an 84 with a 2.5 and 250k+ miles on it. It went to the scrap heap in short order. I now have an 87 with a 2.5 and another 1998 4.0. I just can't seem to get away from the XJ. I just love them. The 87 is stock and my son drives it. The 98 has RE 3.5" in the front and a bastard pack in the back. The back is just temp. I am building a cusom spring perch and have no idea what I'll end up with in the end. Probably OMEs again. I've never felt a better spring.

I'll have to see if I can find my old pick of the first ride. I had a video of me launching over the Dune that Glenn shot. Wish I knew where that was. It was awsome. Huge rooster tail and a clear view between the XJ and the dunes.

IIRC Phil didn't go with us after that first day. I don't think he was ready to scratch his XJ yet.

So, out of the list you have compiled, how many are left?
Bones
Beezil
Tom R
Glenn (rollin' in the red ZJ)
SgtJCJ (don't recall your old handle)
AZJeff
Loop
Moab Jeff
Some dude in another white XJ
Dr Phil
Anybody else?

Back