• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Man...non xj related/ that was a long weekend

Elguapo

NAXJA Forum User
Welp/ I started out with getting a great deal on a awd astro van that was nice for luggin crap around. Got the van for a grand/ traded it for a fist spider, played with the fiat for a few weeks and decided the car wasn't fun to work on/ too expensive and too much work to get what I wanted out of the car for my taste.(interior,body,suspension all needing re-done)

threw it on craiglist and ran into a fella with a 73 Pontiac Catalina. 63k orig claimed miles. The cars interior is great as far as the panels/dash/headliner goes. Seats worn/ no carpet. Exterior had more oxidation on it than I thought possible. Lol seriously this has been the toughest paint job to polish ever.

The top had vynal?( I should go back to school for that spelling)
but it had obviously worn and the previous owner took most of it off. Still left me with the fun edges of the top/sticky adhesive on the top as well.
This is a post to help encourage folks to buff their rigs-even though it's a crawler doesn't mean whatever parts aren't beat can't be shinny. Plus it's a great thing to know how to do for the daily drivers.

The paint took forever to see results with/ the top was a pain in the ass and I had to go way down south to get some hubcaps-steamed the white walls/painted the top. Only got one stage of buffing done- 2 more to go on my paint restoration process- thought I would share what my weekend was

o and sorry for the rambling. But I'm XXXXing pooped!

Some pictures from the its ad on craigs list.

cb9aa0dd.jpg

6c67ca72.jpg

Had to bust out the tough wool buffing pad and the deep cutting compound for this crazy ass oxidation!

7a3f08e5.jpg

55fef321.jpg

Got some old school blang! going to widen the white walls and paint the trim of the rim red
3e8477d1.jpg

a43df055.jpg

this side has little buffing/ just got tired of buffing and moved on to the top/// will get this side just as shinny as the other with enough work... but yup

Last edited:
Gotta love the ever-so-awesome land yacht!

What's it got, a 400/auto with dual exhaust? Nice suburban assault vehicle! I dig it. :thumbup: I also like that you painted the top. Flat white?

Where'd you get the 50's flipper hub caps?

Now....... come polish my Duster-turd! :D

Have you ever seen the "bumper tuck" done on those kinds of cars with those huge low-impact bumpers? They look pretty cool with the bumpers moved closer in toward the body...... generally as easy as drilling a hole in the bumper "shocks" and letting the fluid drain out, then push them in. Some put a spot weld on 'em to keep them tucked. :thumbup:

Your bumper shocks should look very similar to these (on the front anyway) and drilling into the rear of it should release the pressure. Drilling another hole along the bottom and sitting at an angle to drain for a while will keep it from making a mess for a while. Then seal the hole with a screw or silicone.

!BnrDzhw!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-DUEtpUYGgy(BLkcNykWHQ~~_12.JPG

Here's a write up on it being done to a late 70's Nova:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163480

Here it is done on a Duster like mine..... me likey..... :D (Unfortunately, it'd be a bigger project since the Duster doesn't have those nifty bumper shocks....)

7585230053_large.jpg

lol, man from a fiat to that -- they're so.... similar! That is indeed a cruiser, man. Low and slow!

:viking:lol that's Bo/ named after Bo Jackson. He's a minature Doberman, I'm a small dog guy. They poop small eat little and wash in the sink, no shedding. live longer and when it dies I can just put it in a shoe box and mail it to ya mikey. Lol

Troy that bumper trick is awsome/ looks like Ima get to make a mess. Sweet-
got the caps from a local here in the springs/ paid too much for'm but it's what I was looking for to help the cruiser look/ oh and it's a auto w a 350. They came with the 400 and bigger but Im happier with the 350 for less money on gas/parts.

Will keep the thread updated

New carpet order made/ dark brown to match the rest of the inside- woo woo
Hope to have it made in the next week/recieved by the next 2-3weeks

Back