• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Convert a 2000 to a 98?

SurplusFan98

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. I'm looking to get a simple stock 2WD automatic XJ as a spare vehicle for a large family. I've found a good deal on a 4 door with good paint and body, acceptable interior, and no rust. However, its a 2000 year model, the computer is missing, and there are no keys. I also notice that it looks like the engine was swapped, because its a distributor engine with no coil rail, and I think its a single piece exhaust manifold. Luckily I have recently stripped a 98 XJ for damn near everything but the transmission, because it was toast. I'm looking for a 98 to swap parts into so I can make a daily driver, but I hate to pass up a good deal on a nice roller (with a supposedly good transmission) mostly because I would have to figure out the whole computer/key situation.

So, my question is, what all actually needs to be swapped in a 2000 XJ to essentially make it a 98 XJ? I know there are incompatibilities, but I think there are probably a ton of compatibilities too. I have the keys and a PCM for the 98, I have a good running motor too, and the wiring harnesses. I have a working TCM. What else do I need? Aren't the transmissions physically the same, etc? What if anything would I need to change in the steering column to do away with the need for a chip key?

Thanks everyone.

If you have entire wiring harness from the 98 you could probably make it work. The aw4 should be the same. The 00-01s definitely have some differences from the earlier ones, but chassis wise they should be the same. Probably even need the gauge cluster from the 98 though.

I saw on another post where there were revisions to the aw4 in 2000 as well. Like it's got extra speed sensors. If that's true, id need the engine, tranny, probably rear drive shaft, plus the PCM and wiring harness. Curious about cabin electrical harness too if only because of the chip key wiring. I think I've seen where the fuse boxes differ slightly. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

The front speed sensor was added in 98, so you are fine there, like I said you would probably have to change the entire harness. It would be quite a project.

The speed reluctor changed for '00-01 and is not compatible. Is this to be a street legal rig in Cali?

Ahh, misinterpreted the LA 👍

Back