• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed to 4 hole 0280155784 everything was fine until I hit a pothhole.

DrHEQX

NAXJA Forum User
2000 Cherokee Sport
240K miles
everything stock except 3" lift
4.0L

started stuttering on acceleration intermittently and also when it was driven about 40 miles, then it would get worse. Temps are very stable at 190, no other vibrations or issues

I had just installed all new 4 hole injectors because I was getting stuttering on acceleration and i wanted to just rule that part out. The stock injectors were showing cracks and I already had to change two of them due to age.

So I start the thing afterwards and it is running better than ever. I drive it around for 20 minutes and then part it. come out later and start it. get on the highway and it running really nicely, feels like it wants to go fast. very smooth power.

Then I hit a big pothole at 60 and it starts badly stuttering. I was forced to get off the road because of an accident ahead ( thank god ) . headed home because the stuttering was getting worse and power was declining rapidly. Almost made it home but smelled smoke from below. I shut it off and there was literally a fire going on at the muffler( original muffler and cat ) . The fire went out by itself. The end of the cat near the muffler was red hot.

Somehow I am thinking that the muffler or cat is the problem and this has nothing to do with the injectors.

A mechanic recently changed the o2 sensor that is located under the rear of the intake manifold and I check all of the wiring and plugs before taking it out and also after it started stuttering,.

I am going to tow it home tomorrow and cut the muffler off. I was thinking that it was the MAP sensor originally as well as the injectors, however this is a new one for me.

Need some ideas on what to look at

Well, shoot. Get those codes and report back.

The codes may spell out exactly what is going on. Or they could at least provide a clue as to what connector got jarred apart.

Could be as simple as a clogged injector. You disturbed things when you replaced them. Also 4 hole injectors have ports <1/4 the size as 1 hole.

Well, shoot. Get those codes and report back.

The codes may spell out exactly what is going on. Or they could at least provide a clue as to what connector got jarred apart.
I'll pull the codes those morning and report back

Most often a fresh malfunction is caused by the last repair or modification. I would suspect the injectors.

Cat converter service life is about 100 - 150,000 miles.

Does your OBD-II trouble code reader do live data so you can observe the fuel trims?

Glowing exhaust and fire on the muffler are signs of over fueling the engine. That happened to one of my old cars when 3 injectors stuck open during an acceleration and let off. the injectors didn't seat back up. My Cat melted down and pipes and front of muffler were red and glowing. It could be fowling the plugs out too or your coils are starting to get weak at temp.

Back