• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

258 to 4.0 swap what pilot bushing?

326Firefighter12

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I have. 1996 4..0 that I am swapping and using my amc pattern 727. I’m currently on the fence of using the 42re flex plate and try to window the cps sensor into the bell housing or just use the original 258 flex plate and run Hesco cps relocate. Also probably have to use the 727 original torque converter to work well.

My 4.0 has a crank pilot bushing that has splines so it must have been a manual. Well since I’m going with auto what pilot bushing do I use? That auto torque converter has to be “piloted” on something.

After looking into it closer 258 had pilot bushing o.d. Of 1/18 and my 4.0 should be 1”.But that’s where I’m lost. I have no idea what the original 727 torque converter hub o.d. Would be (haven’t purchased yet) and what the I.d of the 4.0 pilot bushing will be!

Well thats where I’m at what pilot bushing is needed to swap a 4.0 /727?

Thanks for any help

Automatic 4.0's do not use a "pilot bushing" since the TC spins with the crank. The TC does pilot in the machined dimension of the crank.

Automatic 4.0's do not use a "pilot bushing" since the TC spins with the crank. The TC does pilot in the machined dimension of the crank.
I did notice a recessed/ machined area within the crank. So take out that splined bushing and go ahead with flex plate/ torque converter?

Your going to have to find out the TC converter size to see if it will work. If it's to big it won't work with that converter, I don't
Know whether there are any custom options. If it's smaller than you could have a bushing made. I also don't know about the 4.0 flex plate working, I do know the 727 was used with the 6 cylinder engines.

Back