• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ knuckle and unit bearing swap with custom RCV axles

I did use stock XJ axles shafts. Also, you will need 1/4 spacers or washers for the caliper bracket, and WJ lower ball joints. IRO sells the washers, and others. I did machine some spacers with a shaft for a set of knuckles. I haven't installed them though. Also, added adjustable steering stops, like an XJ knuckle.
Yeah I went ahead and ordered the IRO spacer/washer kit yesterday.

OK, now I'm trying to decide on steering, 1 ton TREs seem like overkill for this project. Are the stock WJ tie rod ends an upgrade from the XJ parts? I'd like to find something in between what I have now and the 1 ton setups.

Also there is no need to modify the steering/trackbar just up-grade the xj steering components, I run the Currie Corrcet Lync with my WJ set-up.
This^^^^

Yes, nothing else changes and I'm at 5-1/2" inches lift with perfect steering. Here's a side by side to a factory XJ steering.........
P1080526_zpspyz2ptlx.jpg

That is why i said id steer clear of the currect link stockish steering.

The wj steering will hands down walk allover it on the street offroad it doesnt care.

At 5.5" im suprised rcp has it on his jeep. But it does steer the tires left and right may get bent slightly less offroad or possibly while driving over eletric cars

This is just my opinion remember its free

That is why i said id steer clear of the currect link stockish steering.

The wj steering will hands down walk allover it on the street offroad it doesnt care.

At 5.5" im suprised rcp has it on his jeep. But it does steer the tires left and right may get bent slightly less offroad or possibly while driving over eletric cars

This is just my opinion remember its free
Yeah I'm still trying to make up my mind. I'm definitely planning on ditching the y link as that was a big part of my reasoning for doing the knuckle swap in the first place. I just don't feel the need for the massive 1 ton setups that I see all over. I might end up just shortening the stock wj tie rod...

Its super easy to ream knuckles and fab steering materials also arent super exspensive so im un sure what your hold up on doing it is.

The wj knuckles only purpose in life was to give xjs a superd inexpensive crossover steering.

I run the Ruff Stuff 1-ton cross over kit. I'd compare prices to the Currie link. It might seem over kill. Still, I can drive hand off for at least 100 yards. Really responsive. I don't like the idea of shortening the WJ stock ones. I did look into that. I read a post, that WJ owners had issues after wheeling with the ends breaking. You have threads and a hole at the ends. So, a double stress raiser. Not good. You will need extended swaybar links. I used Ironmans. I do like how XJunlimited99 did his.
Currie Link $700. Ruff Stuff GM Cross Over $336. Reamer $100 ???

Last edited:
I've got the dana 35 right now, probably swap in a 8.25 with dual pattern axle shafts or an 8.8 with spacers?
These https://www.rustysoffroad.com/products/ten-factory-heavy-duty-8-25-chrysler-29-spline-axle-shafts (along with the 27 spline version) are actually drilled in 5x4.5 and 5x5, even though it doesn't show that in the image.

1715040006584.png

I know you said you have a D35, but, my point is that I am sure there are plenty of low-cost aftermarket axles drilled to 5x5, that have the added benefit of being a little stronger than OEM.

These https://www.rustysoffroad.com/products/ten-factory-heavy-duty-8-25-chrysler-29-spline-axle-shafts (along with the 27 spline version) are actually drilled in 5x4.5 and 5x5, even though it doesn't show that in the image.

1715040006584.png

I know you said you have a D35, but, my point is that I am sure there are plenty of low-cost aftermarket axles drilled to 5x5, that have the added benefit of being a little stronger than OEM.
Yeah I had read somewhere in the description of these axles that they were also drilled 5x5 but was going to call and confirm since none of the picture showed that. Thanks for confirming that! Supposedly there were Chrysler 8.25 in some newer jeeps with 5x5 bolt patterns and disc brakes, but I haven't confirmed yet the backing plates will match bolt spacing of the XJ 8.25. If not I'll probably just fab something custom to mount the WJ brakes.

Back