• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trails

GSequoia said:
We love you John because you always have wood.

lastara :eek: :puke: :puke:

Ok, so we have John Bull and Dishpan. What trail would be good for 33's and f/r lockers? Need to test out my new bellypan also. :)

markw said:
Ok, so we have John Bull and Dishpan. What trail would be good for 33's and f/r lockers? Need to test out my new bellypan also. :)

You shoudl be able to go on any of the trails, provided you have the required equipment.

For the trails in Big Bear, the ones rated difficult by the Forest Service are:

Dishpan Springs (Deep Creek)
Holcomb Creek
John Bull
Heartbreak Ridge/Onyx Loop

I think there is one more, but I will need to look in a book.

For Medium difficulty, I know there are three or four, but the only one that sticks in my mind is Gold Mountain.

The best thign to do, outside of buying a book, is to show up at the Discovery Center, prepared to wheel. Once everyone is there and the vehicles have been "inspected", the trails will be decided. There will be something for everyone, including stock Jeeps. ou can ask folks that haev been there or the trail leaders what they think of the trail.

Another consideration is your driving skill, experience, and confidence (or ego...:laugh3:). Some folks get easily intimidated by large boulders and 6 foot waterfalls.

Rest assured, which ever trail you choice, the leader and otehr folks here will guide you and help you with anything.

See you next week!

The National Park Service, The US Forest Service and the BLM all use a 3 tier trail rating system. If even one small section of the trail deserves a black diamond rating, then the whole trail gets the rating.

Green Circle; Easiest
Mild rocky road, usually graded once a year.
Gentle grades, no significant water crossings.
Two wheel drive is usually acceptable with good ground clearance.
Four wheel drive makes the trip safer and there will be less tire spinning.

Blue Square; More Difficult
Rutted and rocky roads, careful tire placement is necessary.
Undercarriage may occasionaly scrape. Brush may scrape vehicle.
Some grades may be fairly steep.
Water crossings may be 2'-3' deep.
Four wheel drive with 2 speed transfer case, high clearance, low air pressure,
and some experience driving off road is best.
Typical setup would be 31's and 2"-4" of lift.

Black Diamond; Most Difficult
Rock gardens and deeply rutted roads.
Grades can be steep with severe ground undulation.
Sideways tilt can be extreme.
Body damage is a possibility.
A locker or limited slip in a differential makes the drive safer.
Typical setup would be 33's and 4"-6" of lift.
Body armor is highly recommended.

The list below is not complete, but it's close

USFS rated black diamond 4x4 trails near Big Bear Lake:
3N10 John Bull
2N93 Holcomb Creek
2N06X Lower Larga
1N01 Pipes Canyon
2N90 Tip Top Mountain
3N03A Horsethief Flat
3N69 Gold Mountain
1N38 Heart Bar Peak
3N17 White Mountain

USFS rated black diamond 4x4 trails near Lake Arrowhead/Green Valley Lake:
3N34 Dishpan Springs
2N13D Crafts Peak
2N83 Edison Rd
2N27Y
2N29Y

USFS rated blue square 4x4 trails near Big Bear Lake:
3N61 Jacoby Canyon
2N06 Radford Truck Trail
1N54 Clark's Grade
3N02 Burnt Flat
2N06 Moon Ridge Peak
2N84 Little Bear Peak
2N68Y
2N61Y
2N71Y
3N63 Silver Peak
3N80
Rattlesnake Canyon

USFS rated blue square 4x4 trails near Lake Arrowhead/Green Valley Lake:
2N54
3N59
2N28Y
3N34B Devil's Hole
3N34D Willow Creek Jeep Trail
2N19B
2N19C

I'm looking at pictures on the web from some of the trails. Wondering if I should bring my Civic or Jeep, trails look pretty tame compared to JV. :)

markw said:
I'm looking at pictures on the web from some of the trails. Wondering if I should bring my Civic or Jeep, trails look pretty tame compared to JV. :)

There is no comparison between the two. If you wheel JV, you may not like Big Bear. Big Bear is a great and fun place to wheel, but it is no JV....

If you bring the Honda, please have tow points front and rear....:laugh:

rpraterxj said:
There is no comparison between the two. If you wheel JV, you may not like Big Bear. Big Bear is a great and fun place to wheel, but it is no JV....

If you bring the Honda, please have tow points front and rear....:laugh:

most hondas have factory tow rings front and rear ;)

markw said:
Wondering if I should bring my Civic or Jeep
In 2002 a youngster decided to take the shortcut on the backroads from Green Valley Lake to Lake Arrowhead in his new Beetle. He made it down dishpan before the car quit. Not many scrathes in the body at all. The undercarriage was completely shot and the car was a total loss.

Let me know if you run your Civic and I'll be sure to take lots of pictures :laugh:

Holcomb Creek

IMG_0716a.jpg

I think we're gonna come for the day on saturday, 2 xj's and maybe an unlimited rubicon. What trails do you guys plan on running saturday and what time you plan on starting? looking forward to it.

Back