• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommended OBD-II scanner?

My 1997 Cherokee popped it's check engine light on the way into work. I lost my old Bluetooth dongle a few years back. Looking for a good scanner that can run some basic tests and functions like Throttle Body remapping and brake stuff (I'd like to be able to easily do my own brakes in the future). I'd like the price to stay under $200 if possible. I was looking at the Innova 5610. If it's the best bang for it's buck I'll probably just grab it and eat the extra cost.

I have always been happy with INNOVAs. Currently have one of their OBD1/OBD2 readers. My previous was an OBD2 model. The guy I sold it to 8 years ago still uses it with no issues. Never had a problem with their scanners.

I have always been happy with INNOVAs. Currently have one of their OBD1/OBD2 readers. My previous was an OBD2 model. The guy I sold it to 8 years ago still uses it with no issues. Never had a problem with their scanners.
Yeah. I bit the bullet and bought the 5610 yesterday evening after talking with a mechanically inclined friend who has had OBD2 scanners before.

As I recall that is a bidirectional unit, yes? If so I'm a little jealous. I need to keep my current one for the OBD1, but I really would like a bi-directionally unitas well. My next one will be.

Good choice! Either way it will provide you with loads more information than the simple code. It will also point you in the right direction to solve your problem.

ETA: make sure you check for updates on a regular basis. I've noticed that once a model reaches the end of its update life they pull down all of the updates that were made available for the unit. I'd like to be corrected on this, though.

Last edited:
As I recall that is a bidirectional unit, yes? If so I'm a little jealous. I need to keep my current one for the OBD1, but I really would like a bi-directionally unitas well. My next one will be.

Good choice! Either way it will provide you with loads more information than the simple code. It will also point you in the right direction to solve your problem.

ETA: make sure you check for updates on a regular basis. I've noticed that once a model reaches the end of its update life they pull down all of the updates that were made available for the unit. I'd like to be corrected on this, though.
It is indeed bidirectional. Figure I can use this on some other cars my friends and family have and any other OBD-2 vehicles I might end up with. As far as I know XJs don't have many things a bidirectional unit can actually activate, but the information this unit should give will be of great help as you said.

Mine will do ABS and SRS as well. The ABS function really paid off on the wife's '05 Colorado. The scanner hit the nail on the head saving me a ton of frustration. ABS systems are a bit out of my wheelhouse.

One thing I find kind of odd, the maintenance log software that came with my current unit is the exact same as what came with the previous two units. I don't use it, just find it kind of interesting. Maybe they stick with the same for continuity. Who knows?

Back