• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Gasket replacement (first time opening up an engine)

clean96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
1996 4.0 135k miles.

symptoms:
Coolant.. emptied the overflow but radiator is full. (overflow was filled to full level few thousand miles ago) Don't think the leak is excessive.
runs great. no overheating. oil is not milky. exhaust looks fine. But block is wet. Starts right at gasket level.

Cause:
think the % of coolant verse water maybe off. Possible froze and lifted.
She is kept outside.

This is the first time I have opened up an engine.

Questions:

Any advice/tips on removal, installation, parts, and might as well do tasks would be much appreciated

watching bunch of youtube videos on procedures/advice.

likely ordering from rockauto

New head gasket kits (with exhaust gasket + more included)
thinking thinner head gasket will be better than thicker "heavy duty" ones.
recommend any brands/types?

New head studs.
no idea whats best.

New Exhaust manifold bolts?

Anything else?

Use stock spec (thickness) head gasket otherwise you will affect compression (thinner will result in higher, thicker will result in lower). There is likely a torque sequence to torque the bolts in a specific order and possibly in multiple stages, find it and follow it. Keep your work site clean and prevent debris etc from entering the cylinders. I would degrease and wash down the engine/engine compartment before cracking her open, it will make the job much better. Luckily you only have one head to worry about!

Be aware that one head bolt and and one exhaust manifold bolt are "wet" bolts!

You may want a "medium length" 12 point socket for one of the rear head bolts. The firewall makes it a bit challenging to fit a deep socket back there, but a shallow socket won't reach over the threaded top of the factory head bolt.

New head gasket kits (with exhaust gasket + more included)
thinking thinner head gasket will be better than thicker "heavy duty" ones.
recommend any brands/types?

New head studs.
no idea whats best.
I would advise the exact opposite of that and go with the thicker ones. The thicker head gasket will compensate for any slight imperfections in the head or block. Its a 28 year old Jeep, so chances are it will have imperfections. Speaking of which you should probably have someone machine the head and make sure its flat, check for cracks, and check valves. I went with thickest FEL-PRO 530SD and have had no issues. If you go stock head gasket thickness that's fine, just don't go super thin with an MLS gasket. An XJ is not the right application for that.

I went with ARP bolts and they are good but expensive. Is it worth the cost....I'm not sure. Also be aware the ARP bolts don't have the studs on top where the valve cover gasket sits. Not a big deal and you can still seal up the valve cover. They are just a bit different than stock.

Back